Current:Home > Invest3 South African Navy crew members die after 7 are swept off submarine deck -Capitatum
3 South African Navy crew members die after 7 are swept off submarine deck
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 14:11:47
Three South African Navy personnel died and a senior officer was in critical condition after seven crew members of a submarine were swept off its deck by big waves as a helicopter attempted a "vertical transfer" of supplies, the country's Department of Defense said Thursday.
The accident happened Wednesday as an Air Force Lynx helicopter was attempting what's known as a "vertrep" — or vertical replenishment — of supplies to the SAS Manthatisi submarine on the ocean surface near Kommetjie, off the coast of Cape Town, the department said.
The operation was immediately called off and a rescue effort was launched.
All seven submariners were recovered, but three were pronounced dead. A crew member from the helicopter who was dispatched as a "surface swimmer" to assist in the rescue operation was also recovered and is in the hospital alongside the four surviving submariners.
The department identified the three victims as Lieutenant Commander Gillian Elizabeth Hector, Master Warrant Officer William Masela Mathipa and Warrant Officer Class One Mmokwapa Lucas Mojela. Multiple South African news outlets reported that Hector had been the first woman to ever navigate a military submarine for any African nation.
The National Sea Rescue Institute and other emergency services were called in to help with the rescue, the Department of Defense said, adding that there would be an inquiry into the failed operation and the resulting deaths.
Cape Town and other areas on South Africa's south coast have been hit by extremely rough seas since last weekend, caused by a phenomenon known as "spring tide."
South African armed forces analyst Dean Wingrin told the defenceWeb website that the submarine was moving to the Cape Town waterfront for a three-day navy exhibition starting Saturday. The navy has planned the exhibition to mark South Africa's Heritage Day national holiday on Sunday.
"This is a sad loss for our nation and for our brave armed forces in particular who routinely face danger in order so that all of us can be safe and secure," South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said in a statement. "We wish the injured personnel a full recovery from the physical and psychological trauma they experienced during this tragedy.We also appreciate the efforts of all role players who, at great risk to themselves, undertook the rescue and recovery operation."
In a Facebook post, the South African National Defense Force said members of the public were bringing flowers in memory of the victims to the chapel inside the Navy Museum in Simon's Town.
Tribute to SA Navy members || Chapel inside the Navy Museum in Simon's Town. Members of the public are bringing flowers in memory of the deceased submariners.#SANDF#SANavy#RIPSASoldiers
Posted by SA National Defence Force on Thursday, September 21, 2023
The SAS Manthatisi is one of three German-built Type 209/1400 Heroine-class submarines in the South African navy fleet and had returned to the water earlier this year after undergoing maintenance work.
- In:
- Rescue
- Submarine
- South Africa
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Judge declines to pause Trump's $454 million fraud penalty, but halts some sanctions
- Kate Middleton's Rep Speaks Out Amid Her Recovery From Abdominal Surgery
- Don Henley says lyrics to ‘Hotel California’ and other Eagles songs were always his sole property
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- 2 buses collide head-on in western Honduras, killing 17 people and injuring 14
- Prince William and Camilla are doing fine amid King Charles' absence, experts say. Is it sustainable?
- ExxonMobil is suing investors who want faster climate action
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- NYC’s plan to ease gridlock and pump billions into mass transit? A $15 toll for Manhattan drivers
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Mitch McConnell stepping down as Senate GOP leader, ending historic 17-year run
- Alabama police find a woman dead on a roadside. Her mom says she was being held hostage.
- Google CEO Pichai says Gemini's AI image results offended our users
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- NFLPA team report cards 2024: Chiefs rank 31st as Clark Hunt gets lowest mark among owners
- Black History Month is over but keep paying attention to Black athletes like A'ja Wilson
- How to make my TV to a Smart TV: Follow these easy steps to avoid a hefty price tag
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
The FAA gives Boeing 90 days to fix quality control issues. Critics say they run deep
Horoscopes Today, February 29, 2024
Ticket prices to see Caitlin Clark possibly break NCAA record are most expensive ever
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Republicans block Senate bill to protect nationwide access to IVF treatments
Meet Syracuse's Dyaisha Fair, the best scorer in women's college basketball not named Caitlin Clark
Texas fires map: Track wildfires as Smokehouse Creek blaze engulfs 500,000 acres